Friday, December 19, 2008

Confession No. 15: I Was Living In The Fast Lane


In our chaotic and fast paced world, people usually think that faster is better. Shorter lines, quicker commutes, and fast food is often a necessity for busy families...

but what happens when our shortcuts cause us to miss out on what God wants to say to us? Rather than spending time allowing God's word to penetrate our spirits to create lasting change and a pure heart for Him alone, we settle for short inspirational quotes on His promises. Oh His promises! (sigh) We love to memorize them and pull them up when life gets us down. The only problem with this is we tend to leave out everything that comes before and after the promises.

Here is an example: Jeremiah 29:11-13

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

For years I stopped right after the part that says God has plans on giving me a hope and a future. In doing this, I was totally missing the part that tells me I need to seek Him with all of my heart. Our life with God cannot be lived in the fast lane. Living a life that pleases Him takes time. Time spent with Him and in His word. If you've been living your life in the fast lane too, pull over to the side of the road. It's not too late to evaluate where your life is headed and get back on track. Your father does have amazing plans for you, but you'll need to slow down enough to let him tell you about them.

1 comment:

Michelle :) said...

so true! loved this blog- def. a good truth to grasp at Christmas time! blessings