Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Confession No. 16: I'm Dealing With Perfection Infection

Perfection, like pride, can destroy our sincerest efforts to please the heart of God. Before a job interview my mom once told me that I needed to do something unique to help myself stand out over the 11 other applicants... Thus started my addiction to over-complicating, overworking, over thinking, out-performing, don't stop till you can't go anymore life. The night before the interview, I worked till the sun came up. I had created a brilliant presentation and had the job less than a week later. It was great advice, but it has hindered me in so many ways since then.

It sometimes feels like everything that I do now has to be over the top. The really horrible side to this is that I am often slow to make progress. A lot of my good ideas never get launched (because I'm waiting for them to be great) and my relationship with God often seems performance based rather than based on HIS grace. My confession for today is that I want to be healed from my Perfection Infection. I want to be more satisfied with God than I want to be perfect. I want to remember that HE doesn't love me because of how much I do for Him. I want to rest in His presence knowing that He loves me as much on my worst day as He does on my best day. I want to be satisfied with Him alone. I want to live a life that truly says I believe that "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him."

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Yes ma'am. You've got it...keep snuggled up in His lap, it's the perfect place!! I so relate to your infection...it kept me immobilized for a long time, too.
Thanks for twittering the link!

jamie hooker. said...

This confession has helped me realize my own infection. Thanks for sharing you insight. =)

KG10 said...

Thank you once again, for keepin it real! =)